Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Two, Four, Eight - Reflections of Bills Big Ride

Route – Leaving Phoenix, AZ on April 2, one heck of a big bicycle ride, short ride in an ambulance, long ride in Ruby, and finally, a day’s drive to Guerneville, CA.

Worst Moment – I’ve accepted that I won’t likely ever complete a bicycle ride of the perimeter of the United States.  And I’ll never really know whether I really could have done it or not.

Best Moment – I think that the very best moment of the entire ride was April 2, 2011 as I was leaving Paradise Valley.  I was so filled with the eager anticipation of the event of a lifetime.  There were so many good friends that came to see a group of us ride out of town.  Looking back on that day now, a little more than eight months ago, I can still sense the feeling of adventure and awaiting discovery I would experience for nearly 4 and one half months of cycling.


Neita and I have been settled in our Guerneville home for nearly two months. It has been just over four months since the Big Crash.  And nearly 8 months since Bills Big Ride began.  This seems like a good time to reflect on my accomplishment and summarize the ride.

First of all, a huge “Thank You” to all of my supporters.  I was able to raise nearly $3500 for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. I know that this money goes to help people struggling with cancer. 

My biggest supporter was, of course, Neita.  She was there every afternoon with camp set up and a cold margarita or, when it was cold and rainy a steaming cup of hot cocoa.  I know that this trip wasn’t an easy thing for her to do.

She drove the monster motorhome, Ruby, a full perimeter of the country.  She drove every mile.  On top of that, she also planned the menus, did the grocery shopping, and did most of the cooking.  I grilled sometimes, but Neita did all of the prep.  Her support was unbelievable and I only hope that I can somehow make it up to her.  Her love, devotion and belief in me was the astounding constant of the ride.  (That doesn’t mean that she was always the happiest camper – she wasn’t, but considering the personal sacrifice she went through, I’m the most grateful camper.)

Now the facts:
  • ·      Actual miles ridden 9809 (That is like three times the distance between Portland Oregon and Bangor Maine.)
  • ·      Days riding – 115
  • ·      Rest days – 19
  • ·      Average miles per day – 85
  • ·      Century bicycle rides (100 miles or more in one day) – 21
  • ·      Double metric century rides (124 or more miles in one day) – 2


  • ·      States bicycled – 28 plus the District of Columbia
  • ·      Photos taken 1812
  • ·      Tires worn out – 7
  • ·      Flat tires – 21
  • ·      Adventure Cycling maps used – 23 plus some Google Maps and some AAA maps.
  • ·      Chains replaced – 3
  • ·      Different bicycles used – 3


Since the Big Crash, four months ago, my hand continues to heal.  It is still very stiff every morning and I’m finally just now able to cycle fairly easily and not have to take my left hand off the bike when I go over bumps in the road.  There is still some swelling in the fingers.   However considering how much it did hurt for some time, it’s come a very long way.  

Nearly everyday I’ll have a flashback or memory from the ride.  It might be a certain section of road, the frustration of not knowing where I was or being able to find the route.  Or, it could be the absolute exhilaration of a certain downhill, the fox or deer that bounded out across the road in front of me, or the sound of the click of the derailleur changing gears.  I have so many, many vivid memories of the ride.  I cherish being able to do as much as I did.  There were so many favorite places and only one (or two) places I’d never visit again.   I know I never want to go back to Kent, Texas or Myrtle Beach, SC during bike week again. 
Kent, Texas
I would love to go back to Mackinaw Island, MI, Bar Harbor, ME, Key West, FL, and the Outer Banks again. 
 Florida Keys
Arcada National Park

I very much enjoyed meeting so many new people across the country.  It was so much fun getting to talk to so many people and hear their stories.  While there were many folks I met and shared a story with, there are two favorites - ones that really stand out -  the woman who bought my coffee as her good deed for the day and the couple we met in Kitty Hawk, NC.  I enjoyed everyone's emails, encouraging phone calls and text messages.  If I was feeling a little doubtful about my purpose or ability, they spurred me onward. I am also forever grateful to those dear friends that came to visit us on our trip.  Your time with us means so very much to me and Neita.  It was such a thrill to have you come see us.  We'd love to have you all visit us in Sonoma County now!

photo of the Russian River from our deck

It still amazes me how for six months, Neita, Duncan, and I were able to have more than everything we needed in the 350 square feet of living space Ruby provided.

I don’t know if I’ll be fortunate enough to do more bicycle touring in the future.  I can tell you that I would love to be able to bicycle tour for the rest of my life.  There is truly no better way to experience this country (or any country) than on a bicycle.  For now, I guess I’ll have to be satisfied with touring Sonoma County – not a bad place to bicycle.    
Fall in Sonoma County

1 comment:

  1. Bill, this is a warm reflection on a the time of your life. Congratulations on your vision and determination. Any company would benefit from your experience on the road. Good luck navigating the next road on your career.

    And don't worry, we'll come visit. The winter snows are just starting in NJ, so Spring in California sounds good to me!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete